October 8, 1947: An ultra-modern subway newsstand — constructed with an eye toward more rapid, efficient service — opened on the mezzanine level of the Washington St. / Summer St. Station of the El. Larger display shelves, fluorescent lighting, and attractive neon advertising served to assist customers in purchases. The stand was made of stainless steel, decorated on the lower half with green structural glass.