March 27 1989.  Wicky the cat looks out at the lighthouse from his perch in the lightkeeper's cottage. He is one of many pets who have lived on the island since the lighthouse was built in 1716. Many families manned the lighthouse over the years and a school was established on the island in 1910 taught by Miss Mela Hatchard of Hull, who stayed on the island during the week and returned to Hull on the weekends and school vacation.