February 9, 1959:  Construction of the central building of the Museum of Science was underway. The cornerstone for the East Wing and Planetarium, which opened in 1951 and shown to the right, was laid on December 14, 1949. Into a copper box sealed within the cornerstone went a front page of the December 14th Boston Evening Globe, samples of soils from all the New England states and messages from the six New England Governors. Edwin Land, inventor of the Polaroid Land instant camera, took pictures of the event which were also included.