July 29, 1904: The Public Library in Copley Square was designed by architect Charles Follen McKim of the firm McKim, Mead and White. The cornerstone of the building was laid on November 28, 1888 and Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes composed a dedicatory poem for the occasion.  The library, which cost $2.5 million dollars to build,  opened its doors for viewing  on February 1, 1895 and began circulating books for the public on March 11, 1895. A photo of Copley Square in 1904 shows the Old South Church tower on the right and the Boston Public Library in the middle.