May 22, 1938:  Mary J. Coyle loaded a book cart deep in the stacks to carry the book freight to the delivery desk using the library's interior electric railway system. Tiny cars with a capacity of about a dozen books each ran constantly from the depths of the stacks to the circulation desk in response to slips from patrons which were electrically dispatched from the desk.