Metro

Focus on 2012 murders brings new pain to victims’ families

Boston Police are investigating Aaron Hernandez in connection to a 2012 shooting that left two dead.

Globe Staff File Photo

Boston Police are investigating Aaron Hernandez in connection to a 2012 shooting that left two dead.

The disclosure by law enforcement officials that Aaron Hernandez is being investigated in connection with a deadly double shooting in Boston’s South End last year that claimed the lives of two Dorchester men caused a flood of emotion for their families this week.

On July 16, 2012, someone from a silver or gray SUV opened fire on a BMW sedan stopped at a traffic light at the corner of Shawmut Avenue and Herald Street, killing Daniel Abreu, 29, and Safiro Furtado, 28, according to Boston Police. Another passenger was wounded. Two other occupants fled the car unharmed.

Advertisement

Maria Teixiera, Furtado’s mother, stood in her apartment Friday and clutched the top of her head, with a look of anguish on her face.

“I haven’t slept since this was brought up again and I have headaches,” she said, speaking in Capeverdian Criolu.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation told the Globe Thursday that investigators believe the shooting stemmed from a fight at Cure, a club in the Theatre District, between the two men and a group that included Hernandez.

Abreu and Furtado, friends who grew up in Cape Verde, left the club with three other men in the sedan. Abreu, who was driving, stopped at a traffic light on Shawmut Avenue, about to make a left onto Herald Street, when the SUV with Rhode Island plates pulled alongside the sedan.

The attack mystified the victims’ families, who said the men had no ties to any criminal activity.

Advertisement

Investigators probing the 2012 homicides had heard that Hernandez was at Cure the night of the double killing, but he was not a suspect at the time, one of the officials said.

Joanne Rathe/Globe Staff/File 2012

“I just want it all to go away,” said Maria Teixiera (center), the mother of Safiro Furtado.

Detectives decided to look more closely at Hernandez in connection with the crime after State Police began investigating him for the shooting of Odin Lloyd on June 17 in a North Attleborough industrial park, the official said.

“I just want it all to go away, this has been so painful for my whole family and we just want it to end,” Teixiera said, shaking her head.

Teixiera said she hasn’t heard from police since the disclosure that Hernandez is being investigated in connection with her son’s murder.

“Everything I hear, it’s from the news and people telling me,” she said.

Isidora Centeio, 31, Furtado’s cousin, said that while the renewed focus on the double homicide has “opened old wounds,” the slain man’s family is hopeful that justice will be served.

“It hasn’t been fully a year yet. We’ve tried to move on with our lives, so to have it all come back like this, there’s a lot of emotions,” she said, as she stood on the steps outside Teixiera’s home.

“There is a feeling of hope that justice will be served. For a long time now, we don’t know what happened and things just didn’t make sense. Hopefully we’ll have some closure.”

At a home not far from Furtado’s, a woman whose sister is the longtime girlfriend of a man who was inside the BMW when it was riddled with bullets, but who survived, said he is still plagued with sleepless nights.

Brian Ballou can be reached at bballou@globe.com.
Loading comments...
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.