Dorchester man charged in Christmas Day killing

A Dorchester man is being held without bail on charges that he shot two people, one fatally, during the early hours of Christmas Day. He was arrested the same day when he came to the police station to ask where his car had been towed.

Ian Holness, 27, pleaded not guilty in Dorchester District Court Wednesday morning on murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and other charges.

He is being held without bail and is to return to court April 8, according to a statement from the Suffolk County district attorney’s office.


Prosecutors allege that Holness and his first victim, 36-year-old Randolph resident Rashaad O’Neill, attended the same concert on Talbot Avenue the night of Christmas Eve.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

After the concert, both Holness and O’Neill went to a nearby party at a home on Wales Street. While standing in the crowded basement, Holness allegedly approached O’Neill from behind and shot him in the head, killing him, the statement said.

Witnesses say he ran up the stairs immediately after and pointed his gun at a partygoer who tried to stop him from escaping.

As he drove down Talbot Avenue in his 2002 Jaguar sedan, prosecutors said, Holness saw a group of women in another car who had been standing near him at the party when he allegedly shot O’Neill. He allegedly pulled out his gun and shot at them, striking one of the women in the hand.

She was driven by her friends to Carney Hospital for treatment, the statement said.


Holness crashed his car shortly shortly afterward on Talbot Avenue. He abandoned it and did not seek medical treatment.

Boston police discovered the severely damaged sedan several hours later near the area of the second shooting. The sedan was towed to a nearby police station to be investigated.

Inside the car, police discovered two shell casings that matched casings found at the scene of O’Neill’s slaying and the Talbot Avenue shooting. Boston police crime forensic experts determined that all four casings had been fired from the same gun, the statement said.

Holness was arrested later that day when he arrived at the Dorchester police station in search of his car, the statement said.

Catalina Gaitan can be reached at Follow her on Twitter at @catalina_gaitan.