Just how savvy are you about culture in Boston and beyond? Test your knowledge here.
1. In Boston Ballet’s production of “The Nutcracker,” which of the following is not new?
A. The giant Christmas tree
B. The Sugar Plum Fairy’s tutu
C. The Bear’s fluffy fur
D. Clara’s flying means of egress
2. Where in Massachusetts was singer Taylor Swift rumored to have bought a house this summer?
A. Hyannis Port
3. Which of the following actors did not appear in the movie “Lincoln”?
A. John Hawkes
B. James Spader
C. Paul Giamatti
D. Tommy Lee Jones
4. Who spoke at singer Whitney Houston’s funeral?
A. Denzel Washington
B. Kevin Costner
C. Bobby Brown
D. Angela Bassett
5. Which two local schools did pop star PSY attend?
A. New England Conservatory and Tufts University
B. Boston Conservatory and Bentley University
C. Berklee College of Music and Boston University
D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University
6. Which South Boston location was not mentioned in David Lindsay-Abaire’s play “Good People”?
A. Mul’s Diner
C. The Sugar Bowl
D. The Gillette factory
7. Which judge from “The Voice” had a cameo on the TV series “American Horror Story: Asylum”?
A. Christina Aguilera
B. Adam Levine
C. Cee Lo Green
D. Blake Shelton
8. Which of the following was not the subject of a Boston-area art museum exhibit this year?
9. A mural by the Brazilian artists Os Gemeos in Dewey Square sparked comments speculating that the figure looked like which of the following?
A. Ziggy Stardust
B. Suri Cruise
C. A terrorist
D. Mitt Romney’s dog, Seamus
10. Where in Boston did Aerosmith do a live outdoor performance this year?
A. Lansdowne Street
B. City Hall Plaza
C. The Hatch Shell
D. Commonwealth Avenue
11. What was the unofficial catch phrase of the movie
A. Argone baby gone
B. Argo Sox!
C. Argo [expletive] yourself
D. Argo to hell
12. Which celebrity wasn’t in town shooting a movie this year?
A. Sandra Bullock
B. Ben Affleck
C. Melissa McCarthy
D. Steve Carell
13. Which actor playing an American on “Homeland” is actually American?
A. Damian Lewis (playing Nicholas Brody)
B. David Harewood (playing David Estes)
C. Rupert Friend (playing Peter Quinn)
D. Jackson Pace (playing Chris Brody)
14. Tanglewood celebrated what anniversary this year?
15. Which faded TV star did not appear in a local theatrical production this year?
A. Scott Baio
B. Sally Struthers
C. Joyce DeWitt
D. Lorenzo Lamas
16. Who or what didn’t turn 50 this year?
A. James Bond in the movies
B. The Rolling Stones
C. Tom Cruise
17. How many rows of seats are there in each balcony at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum’s new Calderwood Performance Hall?
18. Who was voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year, after dying?
A. Adam Yauch
B. Whitney Houston
C. Donna Summer
D. Dick Clark
ANSWERS: 1. C, 2. A, 3. C, 4. B, 5. C, 6. A, 7. B, 8. B, 9. C, 10. D, 11. C, 12. B, 13. D, 14. B, 15. A, 16. D, 17. D, 18. C.