James Franco said sexual misconduct allegations made against him on Twitter in the days following his Golden Globes win are “not accurate,” but he doesn’t want to shut the women down.
In an interview with late night TV host Stephen Colbert Tuesday night, Franco said he wore a “Time’s Up” pin at the award show Sunday night to support people who have been underrepresented in the arts. Franco won Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Music or Comedy for his role in “The Disaster Artist.”
“There were incredible people talking that night. They had a lot to say, and I’m here to listen and learn and change my perspective where it’s off and I’m completely willing and I want to,” Franco said.
Following the Globes, multiple women criticized Franco for wearing the pin, tweeting out various alleged accounts of sexual misconduct.
In since-deleted tweets, actress Ally Sheedy wrote about Franco several times, using the #MeToo hashtag in one tweet.
“Why is a man hosting? Why is James Franco allowed in? Said too much. Nite love ya,” she wrote in one tweet.
“Ok wait. Bye. Christian Slater and James Franco at a table on @goldenglobes. #MeToo,” she wrote in another.
And in a third: “James Franco just won. Please never ever ask me why I left the film/tv business.”
Franco told Colbert he has “no idea” what he did to Sheedy and had “nothing but a great time” while directing her in an off-Broadway show.
“I have no idea why she was upset,” he said.
Actress and director Violet Paley described an alleged vulgar encounter with Franco. She said Franco offered her and a few other women an “overdue, annoyed, convenient phone ‘apology’” just a couple weeks ago.
Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018
A couple weeks ago, James offered me & a few other girls an overdue, annoyed, convenient phone ?apology?. I don?t accept, but maybe some other people?s lives would be made easier if he donated all of his earnings from ?The Disaster Artist? to @RAINN01.— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 9, 2018
Actress Sarah Tither-Kaplan alleged that Franco made a comment to her a few weeks ago about her nudity in two of his movies.
Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes , remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn't exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!— Sarah Tither-Kaplan (@sarahtk) January 8, 2018
Franco said he hadn’t read any of the tweets, but he heard about them. He said that he prides himself “on taking responsibility for things that I’ve done,” but said the allegations that have been posted on Twitter are “not accurate.”
“The things that I heard that went on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long, so I don’t want to shut them down in any way. I think it’s a good thing and I support it,” he said.
According to Variety, the New York Times canceled an event, planned for Wednesday, in which Franco was expected to discuss “The Disaster Artist.”
“The event was intended to be a discussion of the making of the film, ‘The Disaster Artist,’” the New York Times told Variety in an e-mail statement. “Given the controversy surrounding recent allegations, we’re no longer comfortable proceeding in that vein.”Felicia Gans can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @FeliciaGans.