Nicole Nelson managed to turn the chairs of all four judges during her blind audition this season on “The Voice” with her rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah.” Nelson and partner Dwight Ritcher have been turning the heads of local music fans for years with their affable rock and soul duo, and Nelson recently won the Boston Music Award for female vocalist of the year. Although she was cut from “The Voice” before the live shows began, anyone who knows Nelson and Ritcher — who play the Regattabar on New Year’s Eve — knows they count their blessings.
We recently chatted with the couple by phone from their Vermont home about five special moments of 2012.
1. Seeing her version of “Hallelujah” climbing the iTunes charts. “That was more exciting to me than getting the call that I was going to be on the show.” says Nelson.
2. The Boston Music Awards. “We were beyond-words-excited to be asked to perform on the main stage and then actually winning female vocalist of the year — I wasn’t even conceiving it was possible.”
3. Bringing puppy Apple home. “She’s the most beautiful creature in the world. She’s a half lab, half shepherd,” says Ritcher.
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week