Artists often talk about the music business being a roller coaster, but we’re thinking the “Merry Go ’Round” is more the speed for country singer Kacey Musgraves , since that’s the title of the Texas native’s breakout single.
Her full album, “Same Trailer Different Park,” comes out March 19, but until then, Musgraves is enjoying opening up for the newly minted Grammy winners Little Big Town, as she does at a sold-out show at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium Saturday night. We chatted with Musgraves by phone last week from Phoenix, where she shared her five favorite pastimes when she’s not on the road.
1. Kickboxing. “I started about a year ago. The class I take is called Hot Box. It’s a heated cardio kickboxing class. They pump up really good, loud music.”
2. Acupuncture. “I have this songwriter friend who said, ‘You need to go to this guy, he’s amazing. It’s almost more like a therapy session, you might cry.’ He’s so good. He can pinpoint stuff that you’re going through. Whenever I do it and leave, I feel really well rested and really at peace.”
3. Hanging with Pearl. “I enjoy hanging out with my three-legged dog. She’s a rescue. We found her the day after my 21st birthday, a very tiny puppy, covered in fleas, no collar. She just has the sweetest spirit.”
4. Flea marketing. “If I drive by and see one I have to stop. There’s one in Nashville every month and I’ve found a lot of cool stuff for my house.”
5. Going to Santa’s Pub. “It’s my bar in Nashville. Basically it’s year-round Christmas-themed karaoke dive bar in a double-wide trailer. The outside is a huge mural of Santa on a motorcycle.”