Yes, the name of Lisa Loeb’s new album is “No Fairy Tale,” but she’s also a mother and has spent the past decade toiling in children’s entertainment with albums and books geared toward wee ones. Who better, then, to weigh in on the subject of princesses and happily-ever-afters?
Originally set to talk about her five favorite fairy tales, Loeb, who performs at Regattabar on Friday, changed the topic at the last minute. “I could tell you my least favorite things that happen in fairy tales,” she offered.
1. “Anything that involves wart-y ogres.”
2. “I don’t love scary wolves.”
3. “I really don’t like evil stepmothers or witchy relatives.”
4. “Baby stealing — not good. I’ve been reading my daughter ‘Rapunzel,’ and somebody steals a baby. Like, an uneven trade: a baby for a magic flower.”
5. “It’s an obvious feminist topic, but [I don’t like this idea of] finding a prince and your life being made perfect. It is wonderful to find a person you love, for sure.”
Lisa Loeb plays two sets at Regattabar on Friday, 7:30 & 10 p.m. Tickets: $28. 617-395-7757, www.regattabarjazz.com