Shawna and Keifer Thompson are happiest when they’re together. The ACM and CMA award-winning duo that answer to the name Thompson Square have plenty of time to be together as they hit the road to promote their second album, “Just Feels Good,” out earlier this week. The pair hit the Hub Saturday for a private performance and Q&A to help celebrate WKLB’s 20th anniversary, but will return to the area to open for Luke Bryan at the Comcast Center on June 2.
We checked in with the Thompsons this week by phone and they spoke candidly about five perks and pitfalls of touring as a married couple. The pair behind country hits like “Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not” say every negative has a positive side and vice versa. “There’s no boundary between the work and the relationship,” says Shawna. But, adds Keifer, “The good definitely outweighs the bad.”
1. Perk: Spousal pride “Seeing each other’s dreams come true and being able to experience this together is just killer,” says Keifer.
2. Pitfall: Making logistical decisions about the show and set list. “She’s got one idea and I’ve got another, so making those kinds of decisions gets to be a pain in the butt,” says Keifer, adding that Shawna usually gets her way before she quickly protests, “Actually it’s the other way around.”
3. Perk: Constant contact. “We don’t work very well if we’re not together all the time,” says Keifer.
4. Pitfall: Constant contact. “With our grueling schedule, most of the time if we get in a fight, it’s because we’re tired,” says Shawna.
5. Perk: Home is wherever they are, even a tour bus. “We’ve got our own bus (separate from the band) now, so we have a little bit more ‘us’ time,” says Keifer.