The Super Bowl is fast approaching, and the halftime performer will be Lady Gaga — since, naturally, NFL fans are such massive Lady Gaga fans. Truly, though, it’s hard to imagine Gaga disappointing on such a large stage, in terms of spectacle and pipes. She’s not boring. Here’s hoping, though, she doesn’t decide to revive her David Bowie tribute.
1. Correction: It’s not just the halftime show. The proper name is “The Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show.” Plus, every time you say it you have to burp.
2. Technically, it’s Gaga’s second Super Bowl performance. Last year, she sang — excuse me, she belted out for all the universe to hear — the national anthem.
3. Gaga will be only the fifth woman to headline the halftime show. Other women have shared the Super Bowl stage, including Christina Aguilera and, you guessed it, Janet Jackson, but only four others have starred: Katy Perry (2015), Beyoncé (2013), Madonna (2012), and Diana Ross (way back in 1996).
4. Gaga is already at work promoting her performance. Last week, she posted a photo from her rehearsal sessions.
5. She also posted photos and video from her “warm-up” rides on her white horse while dressed in a black hat and a fringed suede jacket. This has led some to speculate that she plans to enter the halftime show on horseback like another famous lady — Lady Godiva. Not nude, though (see above: Janet Jackson).
6. In an interview on Radio Disney last fall, she announced her goal: “I want every guy’s girlfriend in his arms. . . . I want every husband and wife kissing . . . every kid laughing. In my mind they’re having this really powerful family experience watching the Super Bowl.”
7. One of Gaga’s biggest fans is unhappy about her upcoming performance. “When you lose your mom to the Super Bowl, he wants more playtime,” she posted on Snapchat along with a photo of her dog.
8. The Super Bowl will be at NRG Stadium in Houston and it will air on Fox on Feb. 5.Matthew Gilbert can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @MatthewGilbert.