Television

Netflix suspends production of sixth season of ‘House of Cards’

(FILES): This file photo taken on February 23, 2016 shows actor Kevin Spacey arriving for the season 4 premiere screening of the Netflix show "House of Cards" in Washington, DC. Production of next season's award-winning "House of Cards" season six has been suspended indefinitely in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against its star Kevin Spacey, Netflix announced on October 31, 2017. Media Rights Capital and Netflix said the suspension was "until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew." / AFP PHOTO / Nicholas KammNICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images
AFP/Getty Images/File
Kevin Spacey at the season four premiere screening of "House of Cards."

LOS ANGELES — Filming of season 6 on the political thriller ‘‘House of Cards’’ has been suspended following accusations that Kevin Spacey made sexual advances on a teen boy some three decades ago.

Netflix and the show’s producer Media Rights Capital had already decided to end the series at the end of the current season but on Tuesday they chose to pause the production, which is filmed in Baltimore, ‘‘to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew.’’ Spacey was not scheduled to work that day.

The move comes after actor Anthony Rapp came forward with claims Spacey made inappropriate sexual advances toward him in 1986, when he was 14.

Advertisement

Spacey responded by saying he doesn’t remember the alleged encounter but if he acted the way Rapp alleges, ‘‘I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.’’ He also spoke publicly for the first time about being gay, which draw backlash from some observers as an attempt at deflection.

Get The Weekender in your inbox:
The Globe's top picks for what to see and do each weekend, in Boston and beyond.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Spacey is the latest Hollywood figure to be named in widening allegations of sexual harassment and abuse in entertainment, media and other industries. The avalanche of allegations began earlier this month after the New York Times published a story alleging that producer Harvey Weinstein had sexually harassed numerous women.

The fallout for Spacey also included the loss of an award he was going to get later this month by The International Academy of Television Arts Sciences. The group says ‘‘it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 International Emmy Founders Award,’’ which is to honor ‘‘an individual who crosses cultural boundaries to touch humanity.’’ Spacey was to get it at a gala on Nov. 20 in New York City. Past recipients include Steven Spielberg, Shonda Rhimes and J.J. Abrams.

A release date for the final ‘‘House of Cards’’ episodes has yet to be announced. Netflix is developing a possible spinoff of the award-winning drama that helped put the streaming service on the TV series map.

Earlier Tuesday, British media reported that police have widened their investigation into sexual assault claims against Weinstein.

Advertisement

The Independent newspaper, Press Association and Sky News say London’s Metropolitan Police is now investigating allegations against Weinstein by 7 women over incidents that reportedly took place from the 1980s to 2015. Weinstein is also being investigated by police in New York and Los Angeles.