Quincy Market opened on Aug. 26, 1826, beside Faneuil Hall to accommodate the need for more goods and shopping. Landfill was carted in to create the spot for the grocery market, which was originally on the waterfront.
More than a century later, the renovation of the east end of Quincy Market, a Public Works Administration project, was completed for $500,000. This photo from May 23, 1936, shows the first tenant, Thresher & Kelley, a meat purveyor.
Major expansion and renovations took place in the 1970s, and the main Quincy Market building is now part of Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Instead of meat and produce, a variety of eateries line the historic hall.
Leanne Burden Seidel and Lisa TuiteFor more “From the Archives” photos, visit www.bostonglobe.com/archives