- Call your insurer or agent promptly.
- Find out what your policy covers and deductibles.
- Prepare a list of the damage and document it with photos, video, and detailed notes.
- Make temporary repairs to protect your property from further damage, but postpone permanent work.
- Save receipts for emergency repairs and temporary living expenses.
- Once a claim is reported, write down claim number and track dealings with company.
- Contact your agent or adjuster if dissatisfied with settlement offer.
- If you run into problems, contact the Massachusetts Division of Insurance at 617- 521-7777. You may also consult an attorney if damage is large enough.
SOURCES: Massachusetts Division of Insurance, Consumer Federation of America