JPMorgan Chase said that not only will the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge road race in Boston go on as planned on June 20, but the financial-services company added that it will contribute all entry fees – totaling more than $500,000 – to One Fund Boston.
The One Fund Boston was established by Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Governor Deval Patrick with the goal of providing financial assistance to the people and families most affected by the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15.
A MetroDesk story on Boston.com noted that more than $20 million has poured into One Fund Boston since bombs exploded near the marathon’s finish line.
Peter Scher, JPMorgan Chase’s head of corporate responsibility, said in a statement: “Our thoughts are with all of those whose lives have been impacted by last week’s tragedy, including our more than 1,000 employees and 1.5 million customers in the Boston area. We’re pleased to announce that the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge will go on as planned and hope that with 12,000 runners and fans, we will do our part to help Boston demonstrate the resilience of its great people.”
JPMorgan Chase’s press release included a statement from Menino, who said: “Road racing in the city of Boston will go on, thanks to the spirit and determination of the great people who live here. We are thrilled that the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge is scheduled for June 20 and we appreciate the company’s commitment to support this city in the wake of a terrible tragedy.”Chris Reidy can be reached at email@example.com.