- More than 20 percent of Americans who commit suicide are military veterans.
- Between 2007 and 2010, the rate of suicide increased by more than 8 percent.
- A service member committed suicide nearly every day in 2011, and 22 veterans died per day in 2010.
- The suicide rate for divorced service members was 55 percent higher than the suicide rate for married service members.
- Female service members accounted for 5 percent of suicides and 27 percent of suicide attempts in 2011.
- Service members most frequently used firearms to end their lives.
- Most military personnel were not known to have communicated their potential for self-harm with others before killing themselves or attempting suicide.
- Nearly one-half of service members who committed suicide had a history of deployment, and 8 percent were deployed multiple times. More than 15 percent had seen combat.
SOURCE: Department of Defense