Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Curt Schilling’s lawyer says documents contradict charges

Curt Schilling’s video game company went bankrupt, and now Rhode Island is trying to recover some of the money lost through loans guarantee.

Steven Senne/Associated Press/File 2012

Curt Schilling’s video game company went bankrupt, and now Rhode Island is trying to recover some of the money lost through loans guarantee.

PROVIDENCE — New documents directly contradict the allegations against former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling in a lawsuit that Rhode Island’s economic development agency filed over the collapse of his video game company, his lawyer said Friday.

Speaking after a brief hearing in the case in Superior Court, Sarah Heaton Concannon said that the documents she recently received show that the allegations are baseless. The documents had previously been withheld because lawyers for the Economic Development Corp. maintained they were privileged.

Continue reading below

The EDC, which has been renamed Rhode Island Commerce Corp., agreed in 2010 to back a $75 million loan for Schilling’s startup, 38 Studios, but the company ran out of money last year and filed for bankruptcy. Rhode Island is now responsible for some $90 million related to the transaction; the suit is an attempt to recover some of what the state stands to lose.

Concannon did not say what the documents contain and she has maintained all along that the charges are baseless. Schilling has called the lawsuit political.

The EDC’s lead attorney on the case, Max Wistow, was not in court and was not immediately available for comment.

Schilling is among 14 defendants named in the suit, which alleges fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of fiduciary duty, among other things. It says the defendants misled the EDC board into approving the deal.

In court Friday, William Dolan, an attorney for defendant Robert Stolzman, a former lawyer for the EDC, told the judge there are still ‘‘substantial disputes’’ over documents being withheld on the grounds of privilege.

Another attorney for the EDC, Stephen Sheehan, said the plaintiff’s lawyers submitted a log of documents about a year ago that it believes it has the right to withhold, and that the defendants have had plenty of time to raise objections.

Sheehan said he expects his side’s depositions to be done in April. Among those who have been deposed are former EDC executive director Keith Stokes and deputy executive director Michael Saul, who each provided out-of-court testimony over two days.

Schilling’s deposition has not been scheduled. Sheehan said Friday he did not know when it would take place.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com