Next Score View the next score

    Consumer Alert

    When all else fails, file complaints to warn others

    Q. I have some major issues with a pool installation done by Namco. A Namco pool installer surveyed my property prior to the install. I made purchases based on his recommendations to achieve a pool flush with a deck. That meant buying a pool at double the cost. On the day of work the installer demanded an additional $350 or he would not dig. For $2,400 for the installation, I was left with a crooked pool that in some places is three feet from the deck and two feet above it. In addition, he had me order way too much gravel (and left behind the remainder), damaged our fish pond, driveway, yard, and fire pit, and drained our well after being told not to use that water. I ended up with a junk pool for my two kids that they can’t use. Could you please help?


    A. What a mess. Given that it’s swimming time, I’m sure having that in front of your face every day makes it sting even more.


    Often, these sorts of situations could be prevented by checking everything carefully before signing, but in this case there’s no smoking gun. It’s not entirely clear why this installation went so badly, but it certainly warrants a quick remedy.

    Get Talking Points in your inbox:
    An afternoon recap of the day’s most important business news, delivered weekdays.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Because of the extent of the problems, Namco said rather than just reinstalling the pool, your case is in the hands of insurance companies.

    “We have spoken with Mr. Moyen on several occasions and corresponded through many e-mails and photos to gain a full scope of the corrections to be made,” said David Buser, Namco’s senior manager for installations and services. “We’ve also had a representative of Namco visit the Moyen property to get a first-hand perspective of the area. Through all of these communications and claims the decision was made to involve our insurance company and the insurance company of the installer to address each and every point Mr. Moyen has expressed.”

    Unfortunately, Namco has not made clear when this will result in any action or what the resolution will be. Filing complaints with the attorney general, Division of Consumer Affairs, and Better Business Bureau is in order. It can both help you and inform others.

    Mitch Lipka has been helping consumers out of jams for the past two decades. He lives in Worcester and can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @mitchlipka.