Slow roasting eggplant gives it a soft, caviar-like texture. The dip comes together quickly once the eggplant is cooked.
3 medium eggplant
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the whole eggplant for 1 1/2 hours, turning the sheet from front to back halfway through cooking.
2. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skins. Finely chop the flesh.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, oregano or marjoram, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
4. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the lemon rind and juice, capers, and parsley. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Serve warm with crackers or a crusty loaf. Karoline Boehm Goodnick