Serves 4 with leftovers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
6 cans (15 ounces each) fava beans, drained and rinsed
Grated rind and juice of 4 lemons
3 1/2 cups water
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Olive oil (for sprinkling)
1. In a large flameproof casserole over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
2. Stir in the cumin and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in sesame seeds. Cook 1 minute more.
3. Add the fava beans, lemon rind and juice, and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, set on the cover askew, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Remove 1/3 of the bean mixture from the pot. With a potato masher, mash the beans. Stir the mashed beans back into pot. Season with salt and pepper. Remove 2 cups of the stew for the pita pockets.
5. Ladle the remaining stew into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and olive oil. Serve with a crusty loaf. Karoline Boehm Goodnick