1 tablespoon canola oil
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/3 cooked roast beef, chopped
1 1/2 cups onion gravy
1/4 cup frozen peas, rinsed with cold water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup milk
3 1/2 cooked red potatoes
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon butter
1. Set the oven at 425 degrees. Have on hand a 9-inch skillet with a heatproof handle.
2. In the skillet over medium heat, heat the canola oil. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Add the beef and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the onion gravy and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in peas, salt, and pepper.
3. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes are hot. Add sour cream, salt, and pepper. With a potato masher, smash potatoes roughly.
4. Spread smashed potatoes over beef mixture. Dot surface with butter.
5. Bake the pie for 25 to 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. Let the pie rest for 5 minutes before serving. Karoline Boehm Goodnick