These toasts pack the flavor of a full-size Rueben into a snack-size bite. If cutting out rounds feels like too much work, simply cut the crusts off pumpernickel or rye bread and cut each slice in half.
6 slices pumpernickel bread
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chili sauce
6 slices (about 4 ounces) pastrami
1/2 cup sauerkraut
4 ounces slices Gruyere
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Cut 3-inch rounds from the pumpernickel. You should be able to get 2 rounds per slice.
3. In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and chili sauce.
4. Set the bread on the baking sheet. On each piece, layer pastrami, dressing, sauerkraut, and cheese.
5. Transfer to the oven and toast for 8 minutes or until lightly melted. Catherine Smart. Adapted from The Hawthorne