Makes one 8-inch loaf
Butter (for the pan)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed shredded peeled apple(from 1 to 2 apples)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to blend them.
3. In another bowl, beat the sugar, apple, oil, egg, and lemon rind. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the walnuts.
4. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
5. Set on a wire rack to cool. Turn the cake out of the pan and turn right-side up to slice.Adapted from The Red Apple