3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
2 small red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 small plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 slender Japanese or other small eggplant (about 5 ounces), unpeeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 cup shredded Gruyere
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
3. Spread the onion mixture evenly in the pie crust. Alternating the vegetables, arrange the potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini in a tight spiral pattern on top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the tart from the oven (leave it on). Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs. Return to the oven and continue baking for 10 to 20 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
6. Let the tart sit for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges.Adapted from Holly Deak