|Salt, to taste|
|1½||cups white basmati rice|
1. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with a generous pinch of salt. Sprinkle in the rice, lower the heat, and cover the pan.
2. Cook over low heat for 17 to 18 minutes or until the rice absorbs the water.
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1||large onion, coarsely chopped|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1||piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, chopped|
|1||clove garlic, chopped|
|2||tablespoons curry powder|
|½||teaspoon chili powder or other dried red pepper|
|2||tablespoons tomato paste|
|1||cup light coconut milk|
|2||cups chicken stock|
|3||thick slices cooked lamb, chopped|
|2||cups roasted vegetables, chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh mint|
1. In a large flameproof casserole, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
2. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the curry and chili powder or red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture smells aromatic.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, lamb, roasted carrots, potatoes, and fennel. Cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are hot.
4. In 4 large bowls, spoon rice and ladle the curry mixture over it. Garnish with mint. Sheryl Julian