|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|1||pound ground chicken|
|¾||pound Italian turkey
sausage, removed from its casing
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||clove garlic, crushed|
|16||ounces thin whole-wheat spaghetti|
|1||jar (24 ounces) tomato sauce|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh basil (for garnish)|
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Cook the onion, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Add the ground chicken, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the juices evaporate.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is tender but still has some bite.
3. Meanwhile, add the sausage to the chicken mixture. Cook, stirring with a large spoon to break up the meat, for 5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through.
4. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt.
5. Drain the pasta and without rinsing it, transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Ladle the sauce on top. Garnish with basil. Adapted from Flo Allen-Hopson