|1||cup heavy cream|
|1½||teaspoons whole buttermilk|
|1||quart clear chicken stock|
|2||cups shelled fresh peas|
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. A day in advance: In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the cream and buttermilk. Heat until just tepid. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature, loosely covered, for 6 hours. Cover and chill until cold.
2. In an electric mixer, beat the cream until thick; refrigerate.
3. In a large saucepan bring the stock to a boil. Add shallots and simmer for 5 minutes or until shallots soften; set aside to cool.
4. In another saucepan fitted with a steamer insert and several inches of boiling water, steam the peas in a covered pan for 3 minutes or until just cooked and bright green. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside ½ cup peas for garnish.
5. When the stock is cool, puree half the liquid, half the shallots, ¾ cup of the peas, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining stock, shallots, ¾ cup peas, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Transfer to the bowl. Add salt and pepper.
6. Chill the soup before serving. Serve garnished with the creme fraiche and peas. Adapted from Just Right Farm