|Butter (for the dish)|
|6||cups cooked cabbage mixture|
|4||cooked bratwurst, thickly sliced|
|6||medium (2½ pounds) Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, peeled and quartered|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||cup whole milk, heated until hot|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
2. Transfer the cabbage and bratwurst to the baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
3. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, a few generous pinches of salt, and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, partially cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain them into a colander.
4. Return the potatoes to the pot and mash with a potato masher. Add the milk, butter, salt, and pepper. With a wooden spoon, beat until smooth and fluffy.
5. Remove the cabbage mixture from the oven.
6. Turn the oven temperature up to 450 degrees.
7. Spoon the potatoes over the cabbage mixture and spread evenly. Make a design with a fork if you like. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the potatoes are starting to brown. Sally Pasley Vargas