If you cannot find mozzarella cheese curds, use shredded mozzarella.
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 small onions, chopped
¼ cup flour
2 cups chicken stock, heated until hot
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Cook the onions, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
2. Sprinkle the flour into the pan. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in the stock, whisking constantly, with salt and pepper. Let the mixture simmer, whisking, for 5 minutes.
½ cup vegetable oil, or more if needed
8 medium russet potatoes, cut into julienne strips
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups mozzarella cheese curds or shredded mozzarella
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a deep-fat fryer or large deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Carefully add half the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Use tongs to transfer the vegetables to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in the oven. Fry the remaining potatoes in the same way, adding more oil to the pan, if necessary.
3. Place the fries on a serving platter. Sprinkle them with curds of shredded mozzarella. Ladle the gravy on top. Talia Ralph. Gravy adapted from Ina Garten.