|8||ounces bacon, coarsely chopped|
|2||large shallots, thinly sliced|
|5||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh
|2||teaspoons crushed red pepper|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1||cup white wine|
|3||cans (10 ounces each) baby clams, drained, juices reserved|
|½||cup creme fraiche|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|1||cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, render the bacon for 10 minutes or until golden. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve ¼ cup for the pizza. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan.
2. Add shallots, and fry until golden brown. Add garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
3. Add white wine and reserved clam juice. Bring to a boil and let the mixture bubble steadily until it reduces to 1 cup.
4. Stir in the clams. Cook for 1 minute more or just until clams are hot. Using a slotted spoon, remove 1½ cups clam mixture and reserve for the pizza.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until it is tender but still has some bite. Drain and without rinsing, transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
6. Add the creme fraiche, olive oil, clam mixture, and parsley. Toss well. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick