|Butter (for the dish)|
|4||cups leftover meat and vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces|
|1||cup cooking juices from the stew|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||medium (2 pounds) russet
potatoes, peeled and quartered
|¾||cup milk, heated until hot|
|2||tablespoons unsalted butter,
|¼||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|¼||cup chopped fresh chives|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 10-inch pie pan or baking dish.
2. In the pan or dish, spread the meat and vegetables. Pour the juices on top. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven. Heat for 25 minutes.
3. In a soup pot of salted water, bring the potatoes to a boil. Partially cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain into a colander. Return the potatoes to the pot. With a potato masher, beat in the milk, butter, salt, and pepper. With a wooden spoon, beat until smooth and fluffy. Stir in the parsley and chives.
4. Remove the casserole from the oven. Turn the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
5. Spread the potatoes evenly over the meat mixture. Make a design with a fork, if you like. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes have browned. Sally Pasley Vargas