|½||cup brown sugar|
|¼||teaspoon ground black pepper|
|¼||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|4||onions, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|7-pound bone-in cured ham|
1. In a saucepan, combine the bourbon, brown sugar, black pepper, mustard, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the glaze is reduced to ½ cup; set aside.
2. Set the oven at 325 degrees. In a roasting pan, scatter the onions.
3. Use a sharp knife to score the fat of the ham in a ¾-inch diamond pattern. Set the ham on the onions. Transfer to the oven.
4. After 45 minutes, brush with ⅓ of the glaze. Continue baking, glazing every 15 minutes, until all the glaze is used. After the final coating, bake 15 minutes more. Total baking time is 1¾ hours.
5. Remove the ham from the oven and rest for 20 minutes. Slice and serve with asparagus and mashed or scalloped potatoes. Reserve 2 slices of ham and the bone for soup. Sydney Oland