|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|½||bunch broccoli rabe|
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|2||cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|2||cooked pork steaks, thinly sliced|
|1||cup cooked peppers and onions in gravy|
|4||crusty sub rolls, split almost in half lengthwise|
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook broccoli rabe for 1 to 2 minutes or until it is almost tender. Drain and rinse with very cold water. When it is cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the broccoli rabe.
2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the canola oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the broccoli rabe, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until it is tender but still bright green. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add the pork and peppers and onions in gravy to the pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until it is hot. Divide the pork mixture among the 4 rolls. Place a slice of provolone on top of each. Set them on a rimmed baking sheet.
4. Turn on the broiler and slide a rack about 10 inches from the element.
5. Broil the sandwiches for 2 minutes, watching them closely so the cheese does not burn; cook just until the cheese melts. Remove the sandwiches from the oven. Divide the broccoli rabe among them.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick