You can pack these sausages, peppers, and onions into crusty rolls, or serve them on their own. Give the onions wrapped in foil a head start so they soften before you add the sausages to the grill. Then move the onions to a cooler side of the grill to continue cooking while you brown the sausages and peppers.
|2||sweet onions, cut into wedges|
|Olive oil (for
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1½||pounds hot or sweet Italian sausages|
|4||mixed red and yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and halved|
1. Light a charcoal fire or set a gas grill to medium-high.
2. On a long sheet of foil, arrange the onions so there’s plenty of room around them. Sprinkle with oil, salt, and pepper. Fold up the edges of the foil and seal the sides.
3. In a baking dish, prick the sausages well all over. Sprinkle with oil. Add the peppers, skin sides up, and sprinkle them with oil.
4. Set the onions on the hottest part of the grill and let them cook for 20 minutes. Move them to a cooler part of the grill. Add the sausages to the grill, and the peppers, skin sides down. Cook the sausages for 5 minutes. Turn and continue cooking the sausages for 5 minutes or until they are cooked through. Total cooking time is about 10 minutes, depending on thickness. Grill the peppers until the skin is charred all over.
5. Serve the sausages with the peppers and onions. Sheryl Julian