Roasting the chicken on asparagus and carrots allows the juices from the meat to infuse and enrich the vegetables.
|1||bunch thick asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces|
|3||carrots, cut in ½-inch pieces on
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||whole chicken legs (2½ pounds), split
into drumsticks and thighs or
4 drumsticks and 4 thighs
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon|
|2||teaspoons Dijon mustard|
|1||lemon, cut into wedges (for garnish)|
1. Set the oven at 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus, carrots, and shallots with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt, and pepper. On a large rimmed baking sheet, scatter the vegetables in a single layer.
3. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the tarragon, honey, and mustard. Rub the mixture all over the chicken. Set the chicken on the vegetables.
4. Roast the chicken and vegetables, turning the chicken once, for 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165 degrees and the vegetables are tender.
5. Divide the chicken and vegetables among 4 plates. Garnish with lemon. Tony Rosenfeld