|12||slices firm white sandwich bread|
|Juice of ½ lemon|
|4||leaves green leaf, red leaf, or Boston lettuce|
|About ½ pound thickly sliced turkey, cut into strips|
|About ½ pound thickly sliced ham, cut into strips|
|¼||pound blue cheese, thickly sliced|
|2||large ripe tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees.
2. Lay the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 8 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until golden.
3. Halve the avocado, core it, and slice the flesh thinly. Sprinkle all over with lemon juice.
4. Lay the toast on a work surface. Spread mayonnaise on 4 pieces. Add lettuce, turkey, and ham. Add a slice of toast to each stack. Add avocado, blue cheese, and tomatoes to each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover each stack with the 4 remaining pieces of toast.
5. Add a toothpick to each side of the sandwiches to hold them together. Using a long bread knife, halve the sandwiches. Sheryl Julian