|½||cup dried Korean or Japanese
seaweed (wakame in Japanese)
|3||cups cold water|
|2||carrots, cut into fine matchsticks|
|2||cups boiling water|
|Salt, to taste|
|¼||cup unseasoned rice vinegar|
|1||teaspoon soy sauce|
|2||cups stir-fried chicken|
|1||scallion, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice|
|1||tablespoon sesame seeds (for
1. In a large bowl combine the seaweed and the cold water. Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the seaweed is softened. Drain into a colander. Wipe the bowl dry. Return the seaweed to the bowl.
2. In another bowl combine the carrots and boiling water; set aside for 2 minutes. Drain the carrots and add to the seaweed with a pinch of salt.
3. In the carrot-soaking bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and a generous pinch of salt together until the sugar and salt dissolve. Pour the dressing over the seaweed mixture and toss thoroughly.
4. With your fingers, shred the chicken over the seaweed salad. Add scallion and toss. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving.
5. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds for 1 minute or until they begin to pop. Cool for several minutes, then sprinkle over the salad. Debra Samuels