Serves 4 with leftovers
|3||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|½||cup olive oil|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill|
|2||pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||summer squash, cut into
|2||red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces|
1. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, lemon rind and juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and dill. Reserve ¼ cup of the vinaigrette for the salad.
2. In a large bowl, toss chicken with half of the remaining vinaigrette.
3. In another bowl, toss zucchini, summer squash, and bell peppers with the remaining vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate both bowls for 30 minutes.
4. Light a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to medium-high heat. Have on hand 10 to 12 wooden skewers. Soak them in water for 20 minutes.
5. Thread chicken onto 5 skewers. Thread vegetables onto 4 to 6 of the remaining skewers.
6. Set the skewers on the grill rack. Cover with the lid and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, turning all the skewers several times. Reserve 1 chicken skewer for salad. Serve remaining skewers with basmati rice tossed with fresh herbs or lightly grilled flatbread.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick