Literally “half frozen,” this refreshing Italian dessert is made here with Greek yogurt and frozen in a springform pan. With a quick berry sauce, it has a celebratory air.
|6||tablespoons cold water|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir the sugar, 2 tablespoons of water, and salt until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Add ½ cup each of raspberries and blueberries. Cook 2 minutes, stirring, until berries release their juices.
2. In a bowl, stir the cornstarch and remaining 4 tablespoons cold water until smooth. Stir into the berries. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining ½ cup each blueberries and raspberries. Refrigerate until cold.
|1||cup heavy cream|
|1||cup plain, whole-milk Greek yogurt|
|7||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon rind|
|½||cup sliced almonds|
1. Line an 8-inch springform pan with plastic wrap so that the excess drapes over the sides; freeze.
2. In an electric mixer, whip the cream until it holds firm peaks. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate.
3. Wash and dry the mixer bowl. Add the egg whites and salt. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes, or until the whites hold soft peaks. With the mixer running, add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn the speed to high and beat for 4 minutes, or until the egg whites are thick and glossy.
4. In another bowl, whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, and lemon rind until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream, then half the whites. Fold in the remaining whites. Transfer to the springform, cover with plastic, and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
5. In a dry skillet over medium heat, stir the almonds for 2 minutes or until golden; transfer to a plate and cool.
6. A few minutes before serving, remove the semifreddo from the freezer. Invert onto a serving platter and unlatch the spring. Lift it off and peel off the plastic wrap. Sprinkle the semifreddo with almonds.
7. Spoon berry sauce onto each of 8 plates leaving wells in the center. Cut the semifreddo into 8 slices and set them on the plates. Sally Pasley Vargas