1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons water
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar (spread in a shallow dish)
1. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the molasses, water, and fresh ginger. Mix until combined. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until well blended.
2. Add the chocolate the mix just until the bits are blended into the dough.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Shape the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place cookies on the baking sheets. Bake for 14 minutes or until the cookies are just firm to the touch. Transfer the cookies on the parchment to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from “Mast Brothers Chocolate: A Family Cookbook”