Loaded with leafy greens and dotted with diced chorizo and feta, this savory pudding is a flavorful meal.
|Olive oil (for the dish)|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|3||ounces pork or turkey chorizo, diced|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1||pound kale, thick center ribs discarded, leaves torn into pieces|
|4||ounces baby spinach|
|1⅔||cups regular or low-fat milk|
|1||teaspoon kosher salt|
|¼||teaspoon black pepper|
|10||ounces baguette, cut into ½-inch pieces|
|4||ounces feta, cut into ½-inch cubes|
|⅓||cup freshly grated Parmesan|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate lined with paper towels, leaving the fat in the pan.
3. Add the kale and water to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the spinach and cook, stirring, just until wilted. Drain the greens in a colander.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
5. In the baking dish, place about ⅔ of the bread. Cover with the kale and spinach, sausage, and feta. Top with the remaining bread. Use your hands to mix it up a little. Slowly pour the egg mixture over the top, wetting all the bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
6. Bake the pudding for 45 minutes or until golden and set in the center.