Serve this cauliflower with pasta, rice or polenta and a green vegetable such as broccoli rabe, spinach or Tuscan kale sauteed with white beans and garlic.
Olive oil (for the baking sheets and sprinkling)
1 head cauliflower, cored
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons capers, drained
4 very thin lemon slices
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons chilled vegan butter (optional)
1. Set the oven at 425 degrees. Lightly oil 2 rimmed baking sheets.
2. Set the cauliflower on a cutting board, cored side down. Cut it into 1/2-inch-thick slices, as if you were cutting a loaf of bread. Arrange the cauliflower in a single layer on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
3. Roast for 30 minutes, turning once with a large metal spatula, or until tender and nicely browned.
4. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes more. Add the wine, lemon juice, and capers and cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces slightly. Add the lemon slices and parsley, and the vegan butter, if using, stirring to melt it into the sauce.
5. Arrange the cauliflower on plates and spoon the sauce over them.
Adapted from “Vegan Planet”