|Butter (for the dish)|
|4||Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||cups leftover beef and vegetable stew|
|1||scant cup whole milk|
|4||scallions, thinly sliced|
|½||cup chopped parsley|
1. Set the oven at 300 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie pan.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, a generous pinch of salt, and water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, heat the stew for 5 minutes or until hot. Transfer to the pie pan. Keep warm in the oven.
4. In another small saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk and butter until the butter melts.
5. Work the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the milk mixture, salt, pepper, scallions, and half the parsley. Mash until smooth. Spoon the potatoes over the meat. Garnish with the remaining parsley.
Sally Pasley Vargas