|½||cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a 9-inch tart pan with a removable base, 1 baking sheet, a 12-inch square of parchment, and pie weights or dried beans.
2. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg and pulse until the dough starts to form clumps. Do not let it come together into a ball. Turn the clumps out onto a lightly floured counter and press the dough into a disk.
3. Roll the dough to a 12-inch circle. Place the rolling pin along one edge and loosely roll about half the dough around it. Pick it up, center it over the tart pan, and unroll it. Fit it into the pan and roll the rolling pin over the top to trim the excess. Use a fork to prick the bottom evenly all over. Freeze for 15 minutes.
4. Line the dough with the parchment, fill with weights, and set on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and lift off the parchment and weights. Continue baking for 10 minutes or until the bottom is beginning to color. Total baking time is 25 minutes.
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1¼||cups cooked tomato sauce|
|12||cooked shrimp, tail shells removed|
|4||cooked zucchini halves, cut into thick slices|
|3||ounces feta, crumbled (about ½ cup)|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
1. In a bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, a generous pinch each of salt and pepper, and the tomato sauce. Pour into the tart pan. Top with shrimp and zucchini. Sprinkle with feta and parsley.
2. Set the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top is brown and the center is set. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Sally Pasley Vargas