|4||medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut
into 2-inch chunks
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||cooked salmon fingers, skinned, flesh flaked|
|1||cup leftover vegetables, finely chopped|
|¼||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|Finely grated rind of 1 lemon|
|3||scallions, thinly sliced|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
|3||tablespoons vegetable oil|
1. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a saucepan over high heat, combine the potatoes with cold water to cover. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander.
3. Return the potatoes to the saucepan. With a potato masher, mash them with salt and pepper; cool. Stir in the salmon, vegetables, parsley, lemon rind, scallions, flour, and egg. Divide the mixture into 8 equal pieces and shape into patties. Set them on the baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. On a dinner plate, spread about ¼ cup flour. Coat patties in the flour, shaking off the excess.
5. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Cook the salmon cakes for 2 to 3 minutes on a side, or until browned and hot all the way through. Serve 2 cakes per person.
Sally Pasley Vargas