Here is a summer version of the winter classic white bean soup with escarole. As a salad, the dish can accompany grilled meats or fish. Prepare the beans in advance, then sear the escarole at the end of the grilling session.
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1||tablespoon red wine vinegar|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|¼||large red onion, chopped|
|⅓||cup olive oil|
|2||cans (14 ounces each) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained|
|½||pint cherry tomatoes, halved|
|¼||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|1||head escarole, halved lengthwise|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|1||lemon, cut into wedges (for serving)|
1. In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the onion and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the olive oil, beans, tomatoes, and parsley. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
3. Light a charcoal grill or turn a gas grill to medium heat.
4. Brush the escarole with oil, and place it cut sides down on the grill. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it is pleasantly charred and slightly wilted. Remove from the grill and cut each half in half again to make 4 quarters.
5. On a platter, spread the bean salad. Top with the escarole and sprinkle with olive oil. Garnish with lemon.
Sally Pasley Vargas