Serves 4 with leftovers
|2||sweet onions, halved crosswise (keep halves intact)|
|3||zucchini, cut lengthwise ¼-inch thick|
|3||summer squash, cut lengthwise ¼-inch thick|
|About ½ cup olive oil|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Prepare a charcoal grill or turn a gas grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a bowl sprinkle the onions, peppers, zucchini, and squash lightly with some of the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Place the onions and peppers on the grill. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10 to 20 minutes or until the onions are tender and the peppers charred. Transfer to a platter.
4. Grill the zucchini and squash in batches for 10 to 15 minutes, turning several times, or until tender. Transfer to the platter. Sprinkle with a little oil, salt, pepper, and the vinegar. Reserve 2 peppers, ½ onion, and about 6 slices ⅓of zucchini and squash for the salad.
|3½||ounces feta, crumbled|
|¼||cup basil leaves, chopped|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|6||large chicken breast halves on the bone (skin intact)|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, or marjoram)|
1. Reduce the grill heat to medium.
2. In a bowl, combine the feta, basil, olive oil, and black pepper. With a fork, mash into a paste.
3. With your fingers, work your way between the skin and flesh of the breasts, beginning at the pointed ends to make a pocket. Slip 1 tablespoon of feta paste into each pocket, pushing it as far toward the wide end as possible. Pull the skin over the paste to protect it. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Grill the chicken, skin side down, for 6 to 10 minutes or until browned. Turn and set the thick ends of the breasts closer to the heat and the pointed ends over moderate or indirect heat. Continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees. It’s OK if some filling leaks out. Reserve 2 breasts for the salad. Set the chicken on the vegetables and sprinkle with herbs.